Monday, May 20, 2013

Back in the USACAFF

     I know that no one really reads this blog (can't blame them since I hardly read this log) but all the same my "finishing things" complex obligates me to make an update here. I returned last Thursday from one of the most challenging/fulfilling//torturous/enjoyable/spiritual/eye-opening/kick-awesome experiences in my life which was to serve a mission in the Sao Paulo East Brazil Mission. I know that in Brazil and Utah something like 66.66% of missionaries get sent to Brazil, but I think it was the perfect experience for me and am so happy to have been privileged to be there. Due to Visa problems my mission wasn't so simple either: I got to serve state-side speaking English, state-side speaking Spanish and in Brazil speaking Portuguese. It looks like with all this language mixing I am going to have to invest some money into a good English dictionary because I find myself unsure at times of which category the words I use belong. At Chevy's a server girl almost ran into me and she gave me a strange look when I told here to go first. Fortunately by my hand motion she understood me, because it was only at my table that I realized that I had told her "Pode ir" instead of "Go ahead." However I am untouched by companion separation anxiety, enjoyed very much gaining four hours in the time adjustment and am ever so excited to skip yet another winter of my life and go directly into a beautiful California summer where Larry's Produce will soon open and you can buy Jalapenos, nacho cheese, and ice-cream made with milk not water. It felt absolutely fantastic to be in Walmart, use the restroom, and not need to ask my companion to walk over there with me. It is freedom. Today I am sitting at the library (I walked there all by myself) and I can look over my notes from church on Sunday because I ATTENDED GOSPEL DOCTRINE. Including my time as a primary worker, that's almost the first time in four years. I don't know how long that will last.
     A long story short it is good to be back. All of you who sleep in on the weekends, eat jalapenos and ice cream and use correct grammar without thinking about it, appreciate it a little more. And never forget that, no matter what side of the world you are on, Jesus is the Christ, the Book of Mormon is another Testament of our Savior, and family relationships are forever. Now that I'm back with mine I think I'll try and appreciate it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment