Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Institute 1 June 2010...finally!


It feels like ages since our last Institute class, but it's been much longer since I actually recorded a reflection that I wrote about it. Our new teacher is Sister J, a wonderful person, and we are studying "Gospel Principles for a Provident Living."

The first lesson, of course, is an overview of the Plan of Salvation. This one was very cool because of all the fun stories, things, and insights that people contributed to the lesson. First, I have to comment how impressed I was about Sister J' copy of The Family: A Proclamation to the World. It's a large-sized book with glossy pages and the proclamation written as text throughout the book like a story, but the illustrated pictures are all from the life of Sister J and her extended family-- it looks very professional like something you would buy from an LDS bookstore, with a barcode and everything. Apparently it was a gift made by her daughter; needless to say I am very jealous and hope to make or have one made for me in the future. Or when I figure out how, and get together a sufficient photo collection I'll make one for my parents, my children, and my brother. It's a fantastic idea. Anyway, I digress.

I was really glad to be reminded by Jeremy of the Plan of Happiness as it is described in the Book of Mormon: essentially a bridge spelling out the PreMortal, Earth, and Eternal Lives being supported by the three pillars of the Creation, the Fall, and the Atonement. Someone else brought up a point about the War in heaven which I like and will have to look up. Actually I think I will do so now...hmm actually I can't seem to find the talk by Alvin R. Dyer (March 1961) they mentioned, I will have to look further elsewhere-- if anyone else finds it online let me know. Anyway, it discusses the council in heaven and the moment when God accepts the plan presented by Jesus and rejects the one presented by Lucifer. Actually, there was only ever one plan, God's Plan, and Satan rejected it and wanted to change it. Christ accepted it and became a part of it. The obedience to God is more yes or no, not either or-- Satan does not have a Plan. I think that's just a nice thing to know.

Another nice thing that touched me was the reminder from Sister J that the entire focus of the Plan of Redemption is on the family: helping and empowering us to establish, raise, and nurture Eternal Families, therefore coming to know eternal happiness. Knowing that can really change my outlook on life-- remembering it changes my life. There is nothing more important than family home evening and "home time" and family comes first before everything. Even President Monson will miss a meeting when his wife is ill. I should say especially President Monson will put family first when push comes to shove. I remember the story from his biography that talks about being a Bishop in a meeting where the Stake President was speaking. He received a prompting to go visit a man in the hospital RIGHT NOW, and so decided to leave as soon as the President finished. The spirit kept saying RIGHT NOW, so as soon as the President finished, he zoomed out of his chair and raced to the hospital where the brother was staying. As he was walking up the steps, a Nurse saw him and asked "Are you Bishop Monson?" When he said he was, the Nurse said that the man had been calling out for him for a while now, but had just passed away moments before. After that experience, President Monson promised always to act on a prompting of the Spirit, no matter the circumstances. There are plenty of things that he will put before a church meeting when prompted.

Okay, just one more since this is getting a little long. Sarah shared a story about her brother that I thought was very special. She talked about how before his mission he was going through some very rough temptations and difficult times, and it involved his entire family. During that time, she wondered that if God did not tempt you more than you were able to bear, why then did he have to wallow in so much adversity? Either he had to be an extremely capable and potentially powerful priesthood holder, or he was exceedingly weak for not being more resistant. At the time, she was seriously considering the latter. Well, that is in the past now and I've known that man and his family for a long time--I don't know all the details of what happened and I don't need to. He has had his life turned around and become an exceptional tool for good with a particularly applicable knowledge of the Gospel, a deep-rooted intellect covering especially the word of the Lord's inspired leaders, and a way of applying personal experiences to teach gospel doctrine that I admire very much. There is hardly a better example of the bettering power of the atonement around and in someway I hope to be like that.


I would like to take this opportunity to bear my testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that he has provided tools and many means by which we can improve ourselves and draw closer to him through the atonement. I invite everyone to look for him and start in the right place by reading the Book of Mormon and gaining a testimony of his words as they come through a living prophet today. His spirit will manifest it to you. And I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment